(Not Including That Free Kick Against Arsenal Or That
Equally Memorable Goal Against Scotland... But
Definitely Including Those False Breasts)
GAZZA. Great footballer. But an even better laugh. Mr
Gascoigne's best tales of
1. One hour after playing for England, met 'showbiz
pals' Danny Baker and Chris Evans in a Hampstead pub while still
wearing his full kit... boots included.
2. When asked for his nationality before an
operation, told the nurse he was Church Of England.
3. On a trip to London, jumped out of his car
to demand "a go" on a workman's pneumatic drill. After getting the
go-ahead, happily pounded the pavement to the amusement of shoppers.
4. On first meeting with Lazio's president to discuss
his big-money move to the Italian club, was quick to tell the esteemed
gentleman that he reminded him of Bud Abbot!
5. Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the
splendid idea of augmenting team line-up with film of each player
mouthing his own name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the
process by, instead, mouthing 'F***ing W***ker'. The BBC had to use it all
the way through the tournament.
6. Booked a series of sun-bed sessions for
then-Newcastle team-mate Tony Cunningham. Who, of course, is black.
7. Asked by a Norwegian camera crew if he had a
message for England's upcoming opponents, immediately responded
with, "'Yes. F**k off Norway." Then ran off laughing.
8. Turned up for England training the morning after
then-manager Bobby Robson had called him "daft as a brush" with a
floor brush sticking out of his socks.
9. When asked for a footballing comment while
at Lazio, burped enthusiastically into a TV microphone. He was fined
10. Decided it would be a great idea to have massive
hair extensions. Looked a fool and had them taken out a day later.
11. After paying for ex-wife Sheryl's breasts
implants, sent flowers to the hospital after the operation addressed to
12. Astounded commuters in London by jumping on a
double-decker in London's Piccadilly Circus and asking if he
could have a drive. The bus driver let him, and the passengers thoroughly
enjoyed Gazza's impromptu performance.
13. Sent a rose to the Wimbledon dressing room for
Vinnie Jones after the infamous ball-squeezing incident. Got a
toilet brush in return.
14. Set up best mate Jimmy 'Five Bellies'
Gardner with a 'girl' he knew to be a transvestite.
15. Has taken the piss out of refs constantly during
his career. On one occasion he sniffed a hapless ref's armpit
while he was holding his hand high to signal a free kick.
16. Undeterred by their frosty reactions, Gazza
again tried to prove that refs have a sense of humour by yellow-carding
referee after the official had dropped his card during a Rangers
v Hibs game. He was booked for his troubles.
17. Players have also suffered Gazza's
spur-of-the-moment comedy capers. He spent the whole of one game against
Manchester City baiting large-lugged City midfielder Paul Lake by
pulling his own ears as wide as possible at every opportunity.
18. As an apprentice desperate to impress
then-Newcastle boss Jack Charlton, spent a week's money on fishing gear
begged the famous angler to give him a lesson. On arrival at th
riverbank, Charlton promptly threw all but the rod out into the
briny, then poured a bottle of Newcastle Brown into the water, dipped in
rod and within seconds was pulling out a whopper. Lesson over.
19. As 'perk' of boot-cleaning duties during his
apprenticeship, took Kevin Keegan's Golas home to show his mates.
But left them on the Newcastle Underground.
20. When playing for England against Belgium in
Italia 90, ridiculed Enzo Scifo as he lay on the ground clutching
his leg.Gazza thought he was play-acting, so did a mime of his own which
involved hopping on one leg with his tongue lolling out.
21. Turned up at a modelling assignment with former
Spurs team-mate Vinnie Samways and tried to take the poor
lad's trousers off on the catwalk.
22. Celebrated his new-found hero status after
flying home from Italia 90 by wearing a huge pair of fake plastic boobs
stomach bearing the legend 'Gazza'.
23. On meeting the president of Denmark's FA,
pretended he could speak Danish. When invited to demonstrate,
imitated The Muppet Show's Swedish Chef.
24. Conned Five Bellies into eating a mince pie
after he'd scraped out the filling and replaced it with cat shit.
25. Walked into the Middlesbrough canteen and
orderedlunch wearing nothing but his training socks.
26. Paid 20 UKP for a Mars Bar in a newsagents in
his home town of Dunston, then told the shop owner to spend the
change on sweets for local kiddies.
27. Woke fellow Ranger and best mate Ally
McCoist for a game of snooker in the middle of the night - because he
28. Took a documentary team to a beautiful Scottish
cottage which he informed them was his new place, pretended he'd
forgotten his key and knocked instead. When the door opened, told the
befuddled housewife that he was doing a telly advert and wanted to
know if she preferred Daz or Omo.
29. Crashed Middlesbrough's team bus at the club's
training ground and caused 10,000 UKP worth of damage.
30. While at Rangers, urinated over sleeping
teammate Richard Gough.
31. Handed 1000 UKP over to Jimmy Five Bellies after
betting that the burly boozer couldn't withstand a cigarette
lighter's heat on the bridge of his nose for five seconds. Jimmy could.
32. Pulled England teammate Paul Ince's shorts down
during an open training session. Ince's arse ended up all over the
33. Took the piss out of his own 'crying game' in
Italia 90 by doing an ad for Walkers Crisps where he bawled after Gary
Lineker stopped him nicking his crisps.
34. Stuck his tongue out when the TV cameras panned
past him during the national anthem at Italia 90.
35. Prepared for games during that hugely important
tournament by playing marathon games of tennis in the scorching
noonday sun. Then was still the best player on the pitch.
36. Thought it would be appropriate to wear a blue
fright wig before the 1991 FA Cup final.
37. In his time, has agreed to dress as a Roman
centurion, a clown, Oliver Hardy and Braveheart for 'photo
38. While his Italia 90 teammate was the hero of
Hillsborough, marched into a Sheffield barbers and demanded "a Waddle
39. When Gazza signed for Spurs in 1988, he
came down to finalise the deal with a bunch of his Geordie mates.
They tookover the posh hotel in Hadley Wood where Spurs were footing
the bill and wreaked havoc. Gazza met then-chairman Irving Scholar
and began talks by saying, "We'd like to thank you for the best
three days of our lives."
40. Asked to leave West Lodge Park Hotel in London
afterguests were treated to the sight of a naked Five Bellies
swimming across the duck pond.
41. On his first night in Rome after signing
for Lazio, gave his minder the slip, put his shoes by an open window and
hid in a cupboard. The Minder thought he'd committed suicide.
42. Recorded a video message for a corporate
party and signed off with a cheery "Happy Christmas, you f***ing w***ers".
43. Greeted reporters in Rome by standing up, asking
for silence,then farting at ear-splitting volume.
44. Taught all his Lazio teammates to swear in
English and in a Geordie accent.