1. When IT say they're coming right over, log out and go for
coffee. It's no problem for us to remember 2700 network passwords.
2. When you call us to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it
buried under half a ton of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals,dried
flowers, bowling trophies and children's art. We don't have a life, and we
find it deeply moving to catch a fleeting glimpse of yours.
3. When IT send you an e-mail with high importance, delete it at
once. We're probably just testing out the public groups.
4. When an IT professional is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in
and spill your guts out and expect him to respond immediately. We exist
only to serve and are always ready to think about fixing computers.
5. When an IT professional is at the water cooler or outside having a
smoke, ask him a computer question. The only reason why we drink water or
smoke at all is to ferret out all those users who don't have email or a
6. Send urgent email ALL IN UPPERCASE. The mail server picks it
up and flags it as a rush delivery.
7. When you call a consultant's direct line, press 5 to skip the
bilingual greeting that says he's on holiday for a week, record your
message, and wait exactly 24 hours before you send an email straight to
the director because no one ever returned your call. You're entitled to
8. When the photocopier doesn't work, call computer support.
There's electronics in it, right?
9. When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at home, call the
helpdesk. We can even fix telephone problems from here.
10. When something's wrong with your home PC, dump it on a chair in IT.
Leave no name, no phone number, and no description of the problem.
We love a good mystery.
11. When you have a consultant on the phone walking you through changing
a setting; read the paper. We don't actually mean for you to DO
anything; we just love to hear ourselves talk.
12. When we offer training on the upcoming OS upgrade, don't
bother. We'll be there to hold your hand after it is done.
13. When the printer won't print, re-send the job at least 20 times.
Print jobs frequently just disappear into the cosmos for no reason.
14. When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to
all 68 printers in the office. One of them is bound to work.
15. Don't use online help. Online help is for wimps.
16. If you're taking night classes in computer science, feel free to go
around and update the network drivers for you and all your co-workers. We're
grateful for the overtime when we have to stay until 2:30am fixing them.
17. When you have an IT bod fixing your computer at a quarter past
one, eat your lunch in his face. We function better when slightly dizzy.
18. Don't ever thank us. We love this AND we get paid for it!
19. When a consultant asks you whether you've installed any new software
on this computer, lie. It's nobody's business what you've got on your
20. If the mouse cable keeps knocking down the framed picture of your
dog, lift the computer and stuff the cable under it. Mouse cables were
designed to have 45 lbs. of computer sitting on top of them.
21. If the space bar on your keyboard doesn't work, blame it on the
network/mail upgrade. Keyboards work much better with half a pound of
muffin crumbs, nail clippings, and big sticky drops of Coke under the keys.
22. When you get the message saying "Are you sure?" click on that 'Yes'
button as fast as you can. Hell, if you weren't sure, you wouldn't be
doing it, would you?
23. Feel perfectly free to say things like "I don't know nothing about
that computer crap". It never bothers us to hear our area of
professional expertise referred to as crap.
24. When you need to change the toner cartridge, call the helpdesk.
Changing a toner cartridge is an extremely complex task, and Hewlett-Packard
recommends that it be performed only by a professional engineer with a
Master's degree in nuclear physics.
25. When something's the matter with your computer, ask your secretary
to call the help desk. We enjoy the challenge of having to deal with a
third party who doesn't know anything about the problem.
26. When you receive a 30-meg movie file, send it to everyone as a
high-priority mail attachment. We've got plenty of disk space and processor
capacity on that mail server.
27. Don't even think of breaking large print jobs down into smaller
chunks. God forbid somebody else might get a chance to squeeze into the
28. When you bump into an IT in the grocery store on a Saturday, ask a
computer question. We work 24/7, even while at the grocery store on
29. If your son is a student in computer science, have him come in on
the weekends and do his projects on your office computer. We'll be there for
you when his illegal copy of Visual Basic 6.0 makes your Access database
30. When you bring us your own no-brand home PC to repair for free at
the office, tell us how urgently we need to fix it so your son can get back
to playing DOOM. We'll get right on it because we have so much free
time at the office. Everybody knows all we do is surf the Internet all day